Pizza and keto typically don’t mix. It’s also one of those things that everyone ends up craving. I’ve tried every crust in the book. While I have a favorite thin crust that nears 20g net carbs when topped, this little guy topped is closer to 9g (4g net for the crust) and just as filling (in addition to being tastier and faster to make).
One morning, a friend who I had turned on to low carb told me that she was making a low carb English muffin. I tried a few recipes before settling on one. When toasted it makes the outside super flaky and the inside soft. When prepared in a bigger dish, covered in sauce, cheese, and other goodies, it makes the perfect pizza.
1. Melt 1 tbsp butter in the microwave for 20 seconds in a flat bottom baking dish the same size as you’d like your pizza (I used a 7″).
2. Mix in 3 tbsp almond flour, 1/2 tbsp coconut flour, 1 large egg, 1 pinch sea salt, and 1 tsp double-acting baking powder. Optional: I mix a sprinkling of crushed rosemary into my crust and muffins because I’m addicted to it and think it makes everything taste better.
3. Let stand for a minute and return to the microwave for 90 seconds.
4. Toast in microwave for about half of your desired darkness (I was doing 2 minutes or so).
5. Remove from toaster, top with pesto/sauce (I like Rao’s), top with cheese and fixings.
6. Broil for 10-12 minutes.
7. Let cool and enjoy!
NOTE: I use a countertop convection toaster oven for nearly everything so you may need to adjust when using a standard oven.
My favorite combo is a pesto base topped with mozzarella, fresh basil, kalamata olives, and goat cheese.