I took a break from a ketogenic diet (keto) for awhile. This past summer I experimented with Intermittent Fasting (IF). I am continuing IF, but looking to expand my fasts to extended periods. While eating carbs, it’s been difficult to get beyond the 5-day mark. I believe that this will be easier if I get back into a strict ketogenic mode. This time I am going to give it a shot without any sugar substitutes, without nightshades, without factoring in net carbs (as I did originally), with a higher concentration of seeds versus nuts, and with very low lactose. The only lactose that I am going to consume will be trace amounts from butter, parmesan, cheddar, and potentially kefir. I got off of the Bulletproof Coffee kick and back into heavy cream. Because I am cutting out heavy cream, I want to experiment a bit with fatty coffee as it is the best way to make sure my fat macros stays high. I am going to focus more research on finding alternative fats. I previously did the same with alternative proteins as many of my vegetarian friends wanted to try keto. I was surprised at the variety of options.
My typical go-tos have been butter, oils (including concentrated MCT), animal fats, and raw cacao butter. Tonight I did a mix of 1 chunk (roughly 1 tablespoon) of raw cacao, 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, and 8 ounces of coffee. I would definitely repeat this.
Here are a list of the benefits of raw cacao from Daily Superfood Love:
1) Get Happy With Cacao: Some days you just need to find your bliss – cacao is one of the healthiest foods, you can consume. Cacao contains the mood improver, anandamide – known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria.
2) As an aphrodisiac – Another mood-enhancing compound found in cacao is PEA or phenethylamine, which triggers the release of endorphins and pleasurable opium-like neurochemicals. These often release naturally when we fall in love and during sexual activity. (The only other food on earth that contains PEA is blue-green algae.)
In addition these chemicals improve libido, which is probably why chocolate is so popular on Valentine ’s Day or as a token of love. Here at Daily Superfood Love headquarters we always accept gifts of cacao.
3) Balance Hormonal Mood Swings: Cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. When women are experiencing PMS serotonin levels drop dramatically. The benefits of cacao are proven to boost the brain levels of calming hormones and restore feelings of well-being.
4) Protect Your Heart and Prevent Cardiovascular Disease: Flavanols an anti-inflammatory and heart protective antioxidant found in raw cacao may protect against cardiovascular disease, reduce the risk of stroke, and help improve blood circulation.
Cacao contains over 700 compounds and the complex antioxidants found in it known as polyphenols help reduce ‘bad cholesterol’ and prevent hardening of the arteries.
It is mind boggling to think that no heart drug on the market can come close to the protective benefits of cacao.
5) The Department of Nutrition at University of California, Davis discovered that cacao thins blood and can prevent blood clots. This finding shows that eating raw cacao can be just as beneficial as taking an aspirin a day.
6) Cacao can prevent premature aging – polyphenol antioxidants found in cacao belong to the same group of antioxidants as green tea and red wine. These anthocyanins (found in dark colored fruits) and catechins (found in green tea) protect our cells from premature oxidation or destruction and can keep us looking and feeling younger longer.
7) Drinking a cup of hot cacao before meals can help you shed fat. This is due to cacao’s MAO inhibitors, which shrink appetite.
MAO inhibitors are often found in weight loss products. However cacao’s unique MAO’s allow more serotonin to circulate in the brain. Don’t consume more than 40 grams or four heaping teaspoons of cacao daily.
If you find the taste of cacao too strong, add coconut milk, rice, or nut milk. Avoid dairy, as it will prevent antioxidant absorption.
By gently heating and making your own delicious hot cacao beverage, you will release more antioxidants and increase the appetite suppressant properties.
Add one teaspoon of cacao powder in a coffee cup of hot water or milk and drink 10-15 minutes before your next meal. Who needs dangerous diet pills? Not us.
8) Create loads of energy and combat fatigue with one of the highest concentrations of magnesium found in this natural food source. Magnesium also helps to protect against osteoporosis, reduces type II diabetes, and lowers blood pressure.
Raw cacao powder (2tbsp) contains 52mg or 14% of daily value
Raw cacao nibs or beans per 100 grams contain 272 mg or 65% of daily value
The recommended RDA’s for Magnesium for a Male are 420mg and 320mg for a Female
9) Get shiny hair, strong nails, and take care of your liver and pancreas with this great source of sulfur.
10) Lower your blood pressure naturally, in a study of 470 men from the Zutphen Elderly study, the benefits of cacao intake are found to reduce blood pressure by patients who took a small amount every evening.
11) The antioxidant properties of cacao were also found to reduce insulin resistance and sensitivity in people with impaired glucose tolerance and smokers.
12) Cacao has the ability to help improve kidney and stimulate bowel function.
Benefits of Cacao Infographic
13) Reset your metabolism and restore your internal balance with cacao – Not getting enough antioxidants in your diet can have dangerous long-term health consequences. A Swiss 2009 study found that in just under two weeks cacao reduced the stress hormone cortisol, improved metabolism, and even improved gut microbial activity.
14) Prevent sunburns – A recent study by London scientists found participants who ate 20 grams of cacao for 12 weeks were able to stay in the sun for twice as long as those who didn’t, without getting sunburned.
15) Get glowing skin and improve skin texture – In 2006 the Journal of Nutrition found that women who drank cacao with at least 326 mg of flavonals a day had better skin texture, improved microcirculation, increased oxygen saturation, and improved skin hydration than those didn’t. Stir some cacao powder in your cup of coffee or add to a smoothie.
16) Skin cancer prevention – German scientists found that cacao may protect against harmful UV rays that cause cancer.
17) Fight tooth decay – Recent studies from Tulane University discovered that an extract of cocoa powder was even more effective than fluoride in preventing cavities. This crystalline extract similar to caffeine helps harden teeth enamel.
18) Theobromine found in cacao was found to halt coughs better than codeine or commercial cough suppressants with the equivalent of two cups. In fact the UK based study by the British Lung Foundation discovered codeine was only slightly more effective than the placebo at preventing coughing with no side effects.
19) Improves cognitive function and prevents Alzheimer’s – A Harvard study by Dr. Gary Small, showed that middle-aged people who drank two cups a day had improved memory and increased blood flow to the brain.
20) Better digestion thanks to the fiber found in raw cacao, that stimulates the body’s digestive enzymes.
21) Healthy fats – your body needs fat contrary to what some health practitioners preach. Fats are the helpers that create chemical reactions for: growth, immune function, and metabolic function. Healthy fats found in raw cacao are similar to the monounsaturated fat found in olive oil.
Read more: http://dailysuperfoodlove.com/2852/21-fantastic-benefits-of-cacao